A student asked why some say we should worship on Saturday. Some teach Sabbath worship. Part of our answer is as follows. Much of it was taken directly from Way of Life’s web site. Perhaps this will help someone else!
1. The sabbath, though mentioned in Genesis 2:2-3, was not delivered to man until it was given to Israel in the wilderness (Nehemiah 9:13-14). Ellen White added to Scripture when she taught that Adam and the patriarchs kept the sabbath.
2. The sabbath was not given to mankind in general, but to Israel alone as a special sign between her and God (Exodus 31:13, 17). If the sabbath had been kept by mankind from the creation, it could not have been given as a special sign to Israel.
3. The New Testament teaches that the believer is not bound by the sabbath law. See Colossians 2:16-17.
4. The sabbath was a type of salvation. “There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his” (Hebrews 4:9-10). As God rested on the seventh day from His work of creation, the believer today rests in the completed work of Christ. In order to enter into God’s rest, a person must accept God’s work and must cease from his own work (John 6:28-29). Salvation must be accepted as God’s gift.
5. Jesus kept the sabbath because He was born under the law to fulfill the demands of the law. See Galatians 4:4-5. The Lord Jesus made Himself a servant and was born under the law of Moses that He might redeem sinners from the curse of the law and bring them into the eternal liberty of sonship.
6. It cannot be proven that the apostle Paul and the early churches observed the sabbath. It is true that Paul met in the synagogues on the sabbath in order to preach to the Jews assembled there, but this does not mean that he observed the sabbath. According to the Bible, the reason Paul visited synagogues on the sabbath was to preach the gospel. Paul’s desire was to preach Christ. He was burdened for his own people, the Jews. So, he went where the Jews were to preach Christ to them. Consider Acts 13:14-44; 16:13-14; 17:2-4; 18:4.
7. There is much evidence in the Bible and elsewhere that the early Christians met and worshiped on the first day rather than on the sabbath.
On the first day, which is Sunday:
Jesus rose from the dead (Mark 16:9).
Jesus first appeared to his disciples (Mark 16:9).
Jesus met with the disciples at different places (Mark 16:9-11; Matthew 28:8-10; Luke 24:34; Mark 16:12-13; Jn. 20:19-23).
Jesus blessed the disciples (John 20:19).
Jesus imparted to the disciples the gift of the Holy Spirit (John 20:22).
Jesus commissioned the disciples to preach the gospel (John 20:21; with Mark 16:9-15).
Jesus ascended to Heaven, was seated at the right hand of the Father, and was made Head of all (John 20:17; Ephesians 1:20).
The gospel of the risen Christ was first preached (Luke 24:34).
Jesus explained the Scriptures to the disciples (Luke 24:27, 45).
The Holy Spirit descended (Acts 2:1). Pentecost was on the 50th day after the sabbath following the wave offering (Leviticus 23:15-16). Thus, Pentecost was always on a Sunday.
The Christians met to worship on the first day (Acts 20:6-7; 1 Cor. 16:2).
Since those days, the vast majority of Christians have met to worship on the first day of the week. They do this in honor of the resurrection of their Savior. Christ was in the tomb on the sabbath and rose as the firstborn from the dead on the first day. The sabbath signifies the last day of the old creation (Genesis 2:2). Sunday is the first day of the new creation.
8. Sunday is not the sabbath. Bible-believing Christians do not observe the sabbath by assembling on Sunday. The New Testament believer is redeemed from the obligations of the Law of Moses. Romans 14:1-13 and Colossians 2:16 clearly state that believers are not to be judged in respect to holy days. The Galatians’ respect of holy days caused the apostle Paul to fear that they were not even saved! See Galatians 4:10-11, 20.
9. The idea that Sunday observance will be the mark of the beast is not found in Scripture. This idea came from Ellen White. It is true that the Antichrist will “think to change times and laws” (Daniel 7:25), yet nowhere does the Bible say that this will involve the sabbath or Sunday. The Bible does not reveal exactly what laws the Antichrist will change. We rightfully worship on Sunday, not Saturday!
This is an email we saved back a number of months ago to help us remember that Bible To You lessons are needed. They are serving God’s purpose. Oh how wonderful to be serving a God who can take the work and multiply it, sending it forth into the world, the needy world!
“Thank you for your prayer letter. We love the BTY . We have a free Bible ministry and we send a copy with every Bible we send. They are going all over the world. Thank you.”
J.R. Trammell Pastor at Harvest Hill Baptist Church
International Women’s Day is by far a false god celebration. Seeking a gender equal world means erasing the God given worth of a man and the God given worth of a woman. Satan encourages us to rise up against God. In Genesis 1:27 says, “So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them and in
Genesis 5:2 ” Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.”
Women are the one special half of God’s creation of MAN or MANKIND. He developed each with special abilities, and for different purposes. Please avail yourself of the LADY LESSONS which are here, in our web site! They should help with training ladies and girls to see the value of being a woman!
America, the beautiful, the Land of the free and the brave! One nation under God. A nation of the people, by the people, and for the people. That is the Land that we loved and thanked God for! We now look upon this nation’s rapid run, away from God, from His Word, and from his ways with great sorrow. We are largely, one country against God!
The only thing that can turn this nation back to God is Christlike Christians who fervently pray, preach, teach and live the Word of God. We must also faithfully and patiently endure the chastening which is coming into our midst.
We choose to be steadfast, unmovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord! How about you? Can you use Bible To You lessons in any way?
Look, think and pray. God will show you the way!
Two students sent notes of thanks that remind us of their need, not only for the Word which we send, but also for the personal touch we try to give everyone. Perhaps you would enjoy hearing their notes. JB wrote:” I want to thank you for always sharing a part of yourself with each Bible study you send me. All I have is Christ. All of my family has died since my incarceration in 2012….”. JS wrote: “Thank you for everything and I thank God for bringing you into my life. Please keep praying for me to get home to my children…”.
Pray for them, and please pray for us as we carry their burdens to the Lord and try to show them right paths of victory in Jesus, lives no longer lived to the flesh!
A few weeks ago a call came in while we were away. To our surprise, it was a brother in Christ, from New Jersey. He used to have an outreach to children in which he used Bible To You lessons. In recent years he started an outreach to the incarcerated. His CD of lessons had gone bad, and he was requesting a new one. This dear man and his wife are still serving faithfully! We were thrilled to hear it! We were also thrilled to share the progress here, especially this web site! We did send him a CD!
This week, we received a love gift and two books of stamps from an elderly lady. she and her friend from church pray for us faithfully. It touched our hearts to be upheld by those who serve in their years of old age. How about you, are you serving faithfully? If not, why not?
One of our present students wrote that he was alone, in prison, no longer cared for by family. He said that since we have been corresponding with him, he is much happier; he says he is blessed by our work.
A former prisoner continues to do lessons and writes to us regularly. After going home he experienced a severe trial with a family member he shared the home with. We counselled him, and prayed for him for a while, then suggested he endeavor to get the other person into the lessons. He was successful! They began to dwell in peace and the joy of the Lord! He just wrote to tell us that the other one, whom we enjoyed working with, has gone home to be with the Lord (they were both older folks). How would this situation have been if it were not for God’s Word getting to those people?
We had a blessing this week. Preacher Dwayne Clark’s oldest three daughters were here to help with office work. Their family is amazing! They work with the deaf camp every summer, here in PA. Their dad is a fantastic preacher! Their mom is an organizer, and able to turn used stuff into cash for Bible college for the kids. They all work together like a band of ants! Because of that, they have been able to help many pastors and churches, widows, shut-ins and, of course, us! We accomplished a good deal of office work with them here. They are respectful, and careful to follow Mr. Earley and my directions. What a wonderful gift their help was to us!
While copying old camcorder tapes to CDs this week, we found one from 14 years ago that was recorded in a church in Michigan. It was a tape of church members who had been using the Bible To You lessons in local prisons. Their testimonies were just like the ones we still hear today. That is because the lessons are based on and packed with the Word of God.
One person spoke of an inmate who had come to know the Lord, had led his wife to the Lord, and was planning on working with his kids when he got home. Some of the inmates were scripturally baptized. The students were so thankful for the Bible teaching they were receiving.
This week we heard back from the one we helped with understanding how Catholicism actually is anti-biblical. She said this,”…thank you for the info on Catholicism. I have never been exposed to Christianity – that may be a reason I never believed until recently. What you and your husband are doing for prisoners is amazing… I just want to thank you for your time and energy.
OK dear ones out there, what are you doing for the spread of the gospel. The Word is life giving but if we do not get it out, the people will perish.
At this time in our lives, we struggle physically just to manage our home, be faithful to church and endeavor to use this wonderful ministry, Bible To You in an active and productive way, for our wonderful Lord! We can no longer work to supply for the ministry, but the Lord has been faithful to supply.
A few months ago the support had dropped away, but the Lord has supplied once and again! A faithful widow supplies stamps regularly. A few weeks ago, her elderly friend had a death in the family due to Covid . We received a call from her asking, “Do you send out Bibles?” I said that we send an offer for a Bible on lesson 4. If the student needs a KJV Bible, we send them one. Soon after that, we received a love gift in the name of the deceased. It was enough to buy a whole case of Bibles!
If you have hesitated to launch a ministry using the lessons, please know that God will supply for his Word to go forth!